UKATA Asbestos Awareness and Refresher Training
Asbestos Awareness training is a legal requirement for building trades and other personnel who may incidentally come into contact with asbestos. Importantly, training is also required for those who supervise such staff. This training must not be confused with training for staff working directly with asbestos, who require more detailed training including a practical element.
The HSE specifically requires Asbestos Awareness training for professionals such as building surveyors, engineers and architects.
SB Asbestos Management Ltd is a UKATA Registered Training Member. Our training programmes are both informative and enjoyable and typically take a morning or afternoon. Training can also be held at client premises at the start or end of the working day to minimise disruption.
Main areas of the Asbestos Awareness / Refresher training programme include:
- The properties of asbestos and its health effects.
- Likely locations and the identification of asbestos containing materials.
- Emergency procedures.
- Procedures when asbestos may have been released.
- Avoidance of asbestos risks and questions to ask before work starts.
A multiple choice test is usually included to confirm delegates' understanding of the main issues, and a UKATA certificate is issued upon successful completion of the course.
Following the attainment of the Asbestos Awareness certificate, annual Asbestos Refresher training is also necessary to reinforce the learning points from the original training to ensure asbestos awareness remains at the forefront of decision making.
“Duty Holder” Training
This course is primarily designed for staff with day to day responsibilities for the management of asbestos. The content includes:
- The main elements from the Asbestos Awareness training programme.
- Legal provisions relating to asbestos at work, including general health and safety legislation and specific asbestos regulations.
- Approved Codes of Practice and HSE guidance publications.
- Planning asbestos surveys.
- Material and Priority Assessments and algorithms.
- The content of asbestos management plans.
- Options for the management of asbestos containing materials.
- Asbestos removal/encapsulation methods and the management of specialist contractors.
- Asbestos testing, air quality monitoring and the selection of laboratory service providers.
- Worked examples.
Training can be adapted to suit specific industries and circumstances. For example, we have previously designed training for building surveyors, housing managers and environmental health officers.